Portal Design (by The Tiny House Company)
Photo courtesy of Tiny House Company
- ‘PORTAL’ is our flagship design, featuring high-end detailing and fixtures, a modular demountable deck system, a custom-designed retractable bed and custom cabinetry between a grid of ‘portal’ frames.
- Continuous sight lines through the length and width of the house help to provide a spacious feel. Doors and windows are aligned to lead the eye the house and out to the surrounding garden and provide very effective cross-ventilation and stack ventilation (through the high louvers). With correct design, small spaces such as this can be passively heated and cooled in an instant.
- The central space and deck are all organized around a 900mm grid which dictates the placement of exposed LVL frames, kitchen cabinets, doors, and windows.
- A raking ceiling, side main entry, deck positioning, and material selection are used to establish a clear direction to space – opening out towards the deck area and high louver windows and providing visual and spatial relief. Clean lines and white surfaces lead the eye past the North wall and towards the deck, contrasting the rich tones and busier detailing of the South wall.
- Our modular, demountable deck almost doubles the floor area of the house. It’s detailing and finish match the interior space and each modular bay lines up with the internal rhythm of portal frames, cabinets, and windows. Despite the ease with which it can be detached, it reads as an integral part of the tiny house.
- How do you deal with every function of a house competing for 18 square meters of floor space? By combining two spaces into one. Not a fan of pokey loft beds? Our retractable bed has 3m of headroom by night and floats over a 2.4m lounge space by day. Controlled wirelessly by remote, this bed needs no folding, no packing away…you don’t even have to make the bed. Out of sight, out of mind.
Credit: Tiny House Company
You may also want to read: Comprehensive Guide to the Best Tiny House Books
Other Tiny Houses for Sale
Photo courtesy of Build Tiny Build Tiny are proud to be presenting their prototype Tiny House - The Millennial - this modern home is unlike any Tiny Home you’ve seen. It’s extremely light and open, and just 7.2 x 2.4m (meeting all NZTA...
Photo courtesy of Bamboo Living The Puna 352 is designed to be the smallest permit-able dwelling in Hawaii, while still incorporating a spacious U-shaped kitchen, a small bathroom, walk-in closet, and a storage loft. The high ceilings make this tiny home feel...
Photo courtesy of The Tiny House Company Swallowtail Tiny House Highlights: Length: 7.2 m Width: 2.4 m Insulated roof panels: 75mm thick zinc finish Cladding: Corrugated metal - zincalume finish. Black stained 12mm ply Texture 2000 Walls and Lining: R1.5 insulation...
Subscribe to our free mailing list
to get the latest updates in your inbox!
SEARCH FOR COOL STUFF
Tiny House Citizens is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.